Sunday, June 19, 2011

Catching Up

I'm going to miss Haiti and the people in it so much. I absolutely love the Jeanty family...and may have gotten DJ hooked on Angry Birds. I already apologized to Pastor Jeanty for doing so. I'm ready to be home, but I don't want to leave. The people I've met have blessed me more than I could ever bless them. I've learned a little Creole and learned a lot about life here.

I never used to eat rice at home, but I've been enjoying it here...though I won't miss it once I get home. I've fallen in love with fresh coconut, plantains, and the eight varieties of mangoes. I'm not in love with the heat that drenches me in sweat, but I absolutely love the gorgeous palm trees and mountains. 

I've gotten used to the 45 minute drive when you want to get just about anywhere; I love the opportunity to just soak in everything around me. The sound of busy markets, the majority of people walking wherever they need to go. Those without running water gather what they can by the side of the road when the water pipes break, those without houses still live in tents or whatever abandoned building they can find. Almost a year and a half after the earthquake, so, so many are just trying to survive. 

The national unemployment rate in the US is 9.1%. Everyone's been affected by the economy in one way or another. The unemployment rate in Haiti is 70%. While that doesn't include those who receive money from family in the US and those that sell what they can on the streets, it gives a clear illustration of the poverty here.

There's something about this place. The kindness and hospitality of everyone I meet, the joy in children's eyes despite losing everything. The brokenness. The strength. There's something here that I can't place...but that I'm going to miss terribly. I have a feeling I'll be leaving a piece of my heart in Haiti. I have a feeling that this is just the beginning. God has given me this heart for the people here, and God-willing, I'll be back in this ridiculous heat with incredible people.

I haven't written for far too long. It was like every time I sat down I wasn't able to convey anything, even when I just tried to state the facts.

The rest of the week with my English class was wonderful. They learned 2 Corinthians 4:18 

(So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.)

in English, and after much effort, I learned it in Creole as well. Everyone in Haiti I've met loves to sing, and my class does as well. We would sing every day, sometimes many, many times, and just enjoyed each other's company. If I'm able to come back to Haiti, they would be some of the first people I would make sure I got to see. They even threw me a surprise party on our last day, saying things they had learned in English and saying their verse. They kept saying how thankful they were for me, but I don't think they understood just how incredibly thankful I was for them.

As I'd gotten more drained physically and emotionally, I also had times that I felt sick. Thankfully, it was never long enough to keep me from doing what I was asked. I still am just worn out by the middle of the afternoon every day. I think I'm more prone to the heat and climate since I already get sick easily. 

Several people have asked me what the cultural differences are, and though things are different in some ways, I can't pinpoint exactly how. Where you sit at the table matters and everyone is responsible for themselves in a lot of ways. Things are just expected to get done, and if I'm exhausted and sleep through my alarm after my afternoon nap, I will probably miss dinner. People will yell in conversation when they aren't angry, and people trying to earn money are much more aggressive. If there's a stoplight, you might find two boys washing off your car and hope you have cash on you. There is no drinking age, but many of the problems that exist in the US with underage drinking don't exist here. It just isn't a part of the culture. Then there's of course the greeting with a kiss. Thankfully, I got used to it slowly since most people know that a white foreigner will probably be used to handshakes. 

I'm excited for my last full day here, and sad as well. It's sure to be emotional. There's a lot I'm going to miss, but I'm looking forward to my own bed, air conditioning and hot showers. 

3 comments:

  1. Dad, Noah and I just read this. Go Emily! Thanks for answering some questions! Noah says he will be glad to see you but is sad with you that you have to leave Haiti. Make sure you get pictures of the Jeanty family, and of their house please, and whatever else you can.

    I really enjoy your posts and I learned a lot. You are a good writer - not just my opinion! We really miss and love you, and are excited about what God is teaching you.

    Spit would run out last week as we came in late from Stampede, then stay out like 24 hours. He's a mess. The kittens have gotten LONGER.

    Nitey nite sweetie, we love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great blog, Emily! Looking forward to hearing more in person...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty sure you won't see this until you are back. You should know there have not been many lightbulb moments for me the past couple of years, but I have them every time I read these posts. Can I go with next time? :-)

    Emily, I miss the awesome girl who left, but I'm waiting anxiously to meet the young woman who returns.

    God bless,

    Matt

    ReplyDelete