Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Brokenness and Endurance

So many dreams seem unreachable.
So many prayers seem to go unanswered.
The prayer of a mother for food to feed her seven children, her husband killed in the earthquake. 
The prayer for a husband.
The prayer for a child. 
The prayer for strength and better days.
The fervor of the prayer for the nation of Haiti. To grow strong. To overcome. To rebuild.
These are the prayers of the Haitian people. Kind in spite of hardship, strong in spite of broken hearts. Having great faith in spite of a seemingly hopeless situation.

Yesterday I was able to help with a vision clinic at a displacement camp. I talked and prayed with people (with a translator), sharing the gospel and gathering information before they had their vision checked. Many of these mothers and fathers are trying to feed 6 or more children. There were several men who wanted prayer to find a job, wanting desperately to provide for their families. There was one woman whose daughter was pregnant, overjoyed for her first grandchild! Too many women do not get prenatal care, too many die in childbirth. I pray for that unborn baby and her mother, desperately wanting some joy for that family after so much pain and brokenness.

 Today was my first day teaching English! There were those that spoke a lot of conversational English and just had a few questions, as well as those who spoke almost none. We learned some basic words and the appropriate grammar. These guys are already ahead of me with their English compared to my little Creole! Learning a new language seems so overwhelming to me, but they are so eager to learn all they can. It was refreshing to me, a reminder to pursue learning Creole, or at least French with fervor and endurance. I'm already thinking about next summer. God willing, I want to come back and be able to talk to so many I wasn't able to before and just continue to help however I can. A lot can happen in a year...I just feel like this is just the beginning here.

I'm still not used to the heat and humidity here though. I've gained a new appreciation for air conditioning, hot water, and just having safe, clean water in general. As good as the Haitian food here is, I miss food at home. I'm going to miss the mangos here though! Today is the first day I'm starting to miss home. I'm sad I'm missing Stampede, but I'm praying for everyone involved and know that God is doing great things! 

It's been a week and the heat and long days are still exhausting. I end up taking a nap from about 5 to 7 in the evening most days, which I'm thankful for. I think I'm getting worn out emotionally as well. Please pray that God would fill me up with His joy and endurance. I'm excited for this next week, I just don't want to be too worn out to soak it all in and help as much as I can.

God is faithful. Every word of encouragement is appreciated, so thank you! 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Emily... It's a privilege to pray for you. Has your health been good other than exhaustion? I hope so... I know a lot of people are praying that you will not be sick. How cool about teaching English... that's awesome. Tell us about the Jeantys and how that is going. What is Haitian food like? What kind of things are different culturally?

    I assume you know the Stampede website in case you want to follow along. The address is fame11.com. They post videos and such.

    I'm reading in Philippians this week, and today I read chapter 2. Some of the verses that really stood out were...
    Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. 4 Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. 5 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, 6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. 8 And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. 9 Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, 10 so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

    It's really amazing to thing that God humbled himself... and that the point of the humbling was for exaltation... I too think that we are to humble ourselves for the purpose of exaltation (at the proper time). Keep being a servant, sweet girl. It exalts Jesus presently, and will exalt you when God decides.

    Love you!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey sweet girl! I LOVE Kim's comments! And her questions are things I am wondering more about, too. Our home computer keeps shutting down again, not sure why. That was SO funny that Yajaira texted you to wake Katy up!

    We miss you too! Stampede is the big event here, as you remember. Thanks for praying! Thomas loves it. Ashley will come to our house tonight, for a few days. Keegan can't come - tennis camp. Pray that others will be invited.

    I am SO happy you are getting to serve! And yes, I will pray for God's strength, health, energy, joy...please remind yourself that you ARE serving God at whatever point you find yourself, as Debbie said. I know it's hard if you can't DO all that is in front of you. But I am asking God to help you teach. When you said you got to share the gospel with those waiting for the eye exam, I got chills. That's what you have been dreaming of, girl!! Go God!!

    Better go before the computer shuts down again. Love you, Miss Emily!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love Kim's comments haha! Answer all her questions :)

    I just wanted to let you know that I am reading and praying! You are such an encouragement to me [if I was there I'd give ya a green bead - that's the color, right? haha]. You rock, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awesome it is to read and know that you're really there, doing all that, with God's help. How inspiring! You know I have some serious questions, but seeing your courage and love and faithfulness helps me understand and remember something very important: God has no questions, only answers. I'm humbled and I'm proud of you Emily. Know that your Uncle Matt loves you and is praying for you... oh, and I miss you, too! Can't wait to sit for hours and listen to all the stories when you get back.

    Can you bring us a cookbook, so we can learn to make Haitian food?

    Be well and take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Emily,

    I'm going to post here because there is not another entry from you (yet)... =). We love to hear how you are doing and know you will write as you have time and energy. I appreciate that you've been able to write so much. Is there anyway you could upload a picture? No pressure. ;)

    Once again... still reading in Philippians... chapter 3 today. I love this little book. Lots of great things in it.

    But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. 8 Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith—10 that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead.

    Ahhh... "the surpassing worth of knowing Jesus"... everything else is far less. Everything we consider good... every advantage, every material blessing, every bit of health, every relationship on earth... rubbish, compared to Jesus. This is the message you are proclaiming to a hurting people. You are modeling it well by entering their suffering. You've given up (for a couple of weeks) your life to serve them so that they might know this great God.

    Press on, my sweet friend...

    So proud of you,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Emily,

    We continue to trust that the Lord is meeting your needs and that you are doing well. I know I am praying that you continue to have energy to do the work He lays before you. The Stampede crew is heading out to Hurricane Harbor in a few hours. I'm glad to say that my job ends with making sure they have a ticket for the park. =) It's been a great week, but this old body is tired.

    I'm continuing to read in Philippians... chapter 4 today. I have really enjoyed reading this little letter once again. It is full of encouragement. That's why I am sharing it with you... It's hard to be a team of one. I know the Lord is with you, and He is the most important one to have, but it is hard not having people around to encourage you. I am thankful we've had the ability with the internet to give you some encouragement.

    Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; 6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
    8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. 9 What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

    One of the many reasons I love the Word is that there are always new things to be seen. Just this morning as I read through that, I noticed something I had not before. If you've been a believer for almost any length of time, you've heard the verse "do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.". What I noticed today, is that Paul's thought really begins before verse 6 starts. He starts with the grounds for not being anxious... "The Lord is at hand". Thinking on that is what calms anxious hearts... Just remembering the command to not be anxious won't do it... at least it doesn't for me. Praying reminds you to connect to the Lord... but you could still think the Lord is far off. This little phrase reminds us that Jesus is right here with us. Ahh... good stuff.

    He's right there with you, Emily. You are not alone.

    Praying you feel that deep in your heart today as you serve.

    Love you!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete